Spiced Shrimp with Rice from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook with some changes. This was my first time making this dish. It is quite easy and quick to prepare. I made some changes to the recipe just to give it more of a risotto type dish. Not a bad one-pot dish, it was definitely better freshly made, I would advise against reheating any leftovers.
1 lb. Fresh or Frozen Raw Medium Shrimp in shells
1 Tsp. Grated Ginger Root
1/2 Tsp. Five-Spice Powder
1/2 Tsp. Paprika
1/4 Tsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 Tsp. Ground Turmeric
3 Tbs. Butter or Margarine
1 Tbs. Oil
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Serrano or Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 Cups Long Grain Rice
3 1/4 Cups Chicken Broth or Water*
1/2 Tsp Salt*
1 Tbs. Parmesan Cheese, grated
3 Green Onions, sliced
1. Thaw shrimp , if frozen, peel and devein shrimp, rinse and pat dry.
2. In a large bowl combine first six ingredients, cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. In a large saucepan heat butter or margarine and oil till melted. Add onions, garlic and chili pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or till onion is tender. Add rice, stir in chicken broth or water (omit salt if using chicken broth). Bring to boiling; reduce heat, simmer covered for 15 minutes (rice may not be done)
4. Stir in shrimp mixture, return to boiling; reduce heat, simmer covered for an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
5. Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan Cheese. Garnish each serving with green onions.